Bulimia Nervosa Affecting Brain Functions?

Ever wonder why girls and guys want to starve themselves, and why they keep doing it even when they know their doing the wrong thing? There is a neurotransmitter in your brain called dopamine; it plays a main role in the central nervous system, and in some people this acts different then it would in healthy people. Having one that doesn’t work as well makes them binge and purge.

Bulimia Nervosa is a  is a serve eating disorder followed by other eating disorders. Scientists have found that women who have any history of any eating disorder, it shows major differences in the brain. There is a new study by Guido Frank, MD, who us an assistant professor, Departments of Psychiatry and Neuroscience at the University of Colorado. He examined the brain to see if it responded to Dopamine. Dopamine is a brain chemical that helps keep your brain behavior.

Guido Frank found out that bulimic woman have less of a response in the brain regions, then women who are healthy.  When you overeat and purge it causes you to become weaker and it sets off a violent cycle of your brain function. There are three good reasons for these findings, one they involve the brain system and related dopamine in the brain functions. Second, when you have an eating disorder, it directly affects the brain and then the brain cannot decide whether it should return back to its normal functions, or keep thinking what the owner wants. Lastly, dopamine could be a treatment, by using certain medications that targets those irregularities. “These findings are important since the brain dopamine neurotransmitter system could be an important treatment target for bulimia nervosa,” said Frank.

Having bulimia nervosa also affects your taste buds. So when you’re eating, you’re not getting the same tastes as a person who doesn’t have bulimia nervosa. So since it doesn’t taste as good, they don’t want the food which makes them starve. The more they binge and purge, the less responsive their brain functions

For in the future, this could not only provide the cures for bulimia nervosa, but also the cause of bulimia nervosa. The recovery of bulimia nervosa is very slow, but most women under the age of 30 recover. Some can recover with 3 years, but the average is about 5 years

Do you think there will be success in helping this problem?

What kind of treatment do you think they need?

How do you think they get this brain function?

4 thoughts on “Bulimia Nervosa Affecting Brain Functions?

1. I thought that your post was very well thought out and I thought this topic is very important. I enjoyed all the quotes that you had and how important they were. I also enjoyed your facts. I learned in my health class about bulimia and how hard it is to recover and how most people have tons of relapses. In a link I found about bulimia I learned more about some signs and symptoms of bulimia. The link: http://www.helpguide.org/articles/eating-disorders/bulimia-nervosa.htm. Some signs that you are bulimic is that you switch from eating a lot and fasting. Another sign is that you are always concerned with your weight. Some things that you can do to fix your disease is to go to the doctor or a professional. I think that bulimia is a very serious topic because it is so hard for teen girls with social media and fake people portraying fake things that real girls want to be like and strive and starve themselves to be like.

2. This is a really important topic to talk about all of the United States and the World, because of the many people, especially teenage girls, suffering from this terrible disease. I do think there will be success in finding this treatment, because many celebrities, such as Ke$ha, Brittney Spears, and Demi Lovato, have talked about them having this disease and wanting the treatment to be found. Bulimics need years of treatment to fix this problem. they need a good support system, to help them not go back to being a bulimic, have professional help, and they need to have some positive thinking themselves. As a support system you need to help them get rid of the not healthy patterns of eating and the unhealthy thoughts and set a good example for him/her. For more information of the signs, symptoms, effects, and cures for bulimia visit
    http://www.helpguide.org/articles/eating-disorders/bulimia-nervosa.htm

3. This is a really interesting topic. Dopamine is really important in the brain so for example my article is about Parkinson’s disease and it is kind of related to this because if it does happen and they lose the dopamine in there brain they would have balance problems, they start shaking and the have trouble with movement. So this wouldn’t just hurt them right now it will hurt them later because they will have Parkinson’s disease, which is still not fully curable. I think they will need more of a mental therapy kind of thing because you don’t want them to get them selves into more problems. hopefully they do find a solution for this problem.

read more:
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/09/110908081242.htm

4. I liked your post about Bulimia Nervosa, and how it is becoming a big problem in the world today. If you’re interested, I would look at proofreading your blog for grammar errors. There seems to be a lot of awkward wording and wrong tenses. Overall though, I liked your message. Bulimia Nervosa is a very severe eating disorder that needs very serious treatment. One of your questions is “What kind of treatment do bulimics need?”, and according to the research I did, a bulimic needs several forms of treatment, and may not completely recover for years. It is important to have a psychiatrist, dietician, psychologist, and a nurse on the bulimic’s treatment team. They should all collaborate together to make sure all areas of care are being covered, and the patient is well equipped to handle a relapse if the situation should arise. Another question you proposed was what causes a person to develop Bulimia Nervosa. Eating disorders are caused by a multitude of different causes, including environmental, psychological, genetic, biological, and behavioral issues. I did my junior research paper on eating disorders, and it is good to see someone else is thinking about them. I think talking about eating disorders more in schools across the nation is the key to raising awareness about these serious, and potentially life threatening illnesses.

http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/eating-disorders/complete-index.shtml