Does dieting contribute to anorexia?

As we grow older, we pack on the pounds. We drop sports we were in, we drink alcohol, and we eat more food. We all try to diet at one point, and its most likely for our appearance. Most of us don’t diet for the sake of losing weight; we often diet for our appearance. Many people will even go as far as anorexia to try to lose weight.

In order to achieve your goal to lose weight, you must first have a set mind. If you don’t believe, you will not succeed. Many people often set a goal to lose weight and fail, because they often don’t see results after the first week. Losing weight takes a lot of time, patience, and energy. You will most likely not see results after the first week of dieting, that’s why most people give up on trying looking healthier, skinnier, and more toned.

When choosing a diet you want, if you are an athlete, you should never choose a low-carb or high protein diet. These diets can be very fatal to an athlete. If you are an athlete the dangers that come from choosing a low-carb or high protein diets are, you could get dehydrated, you have an increase of kidney disease, nausea, mood changes, poor endurance, and many more. You should always think twice about what diet you’d like to be on, because you can get addicted to the diet or diet pills you are taking.

You should also never choose a “No-Fat” diet. Fats are essential to the body, and you need fats. Fats have essential vitamins that your body needs. When choosing a diet you should choose a “Low-Fat” instead of “No-Fat”. Often times, no-fat diets do not work. Your body needs fat, you cannot stop eating them.

Now, for the real question, does dieting contribute to anorexia? Some say that if you were to diet for a long period of time and were seeing no results, people become highly irritated and just stop eating. They will skip one day of eating and they will eat one meal the next day. Not eating food properly is not good for your body. Anorexia can cause organ damage. You can damage your heart and your blood cells.  If you are going to diet, then diet. There is a fine line between being on a diet and being anorexic.

Do you think dieting may contribute to anorexia? Why or why not?

Has dieting ever came into consideration for you?

Are there any other studies going on right now that would complement this data?

Watch this ten minute video to learn more about anorexia:

5 thoughts on “Does dieting contribute to anorexia?

1. I really enjoyed reading and learning about dieting and anorexia’s effects on the body. I learned that it is very hard for people to lose weight because of the time it takes and patience is key. But as you said it is these type of people turn to anorexia and dieting. I really enjoyed learning about the athletes and how they need a lot of carbs to be at the top of there level at all times. Overall your blog told me how unhealthy it is to obtain the process of anorexia and dieting. For further information here is a website about some more effects anorexia has on the body. http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/anorexia-nervosa/features/anorexia-body-neglected

2. WOW! This is a really fantastic article about anorexia! I even watched the video and that is sad how people take dieting that far into life. I think everyone now today in this generation is focused on their appearance and how they want to look. Anorexia is a bad thing to choose while you are dieting. You can end up in the hospital and that isn’t good because like in the video the girl Shelly had to miss her birthday multiple times. And Polly’s family is going to celebrate her birthday without her in DisneyWorld. That isn’t right. If you want to diet and lose a certain amount of weight, set your goal and once you reach that goal, just stop and look at yourself and see if you want your appearance to be better. But, don’t lose that much weight that you get too skinny. You should just accept yourself of how you look and who you are. If you would like to see more information about anorexia, click on the link below.

http://www.helpguide.org/mental/anorexia_signs_symptoms_causes_treatment.htm

3. I learned that dieting affects anorexia. I think dieting does contribute to anorexia because when people lose weight they think its gone for good, but once they stop they gain it right back. Once they gain it right back they go into depression and stop eating for good and become anorexic.Dieting has never came across my mind because in my oppionion i’m already pretty thin. Here is the website that I used to find information(http://www.helpguide.org/mental/anorexia_signs_symptoms_causes_treatment.htm)

4. I think your article is a great way to define what is happening to teens this day in age. Teenagers are obessed with their appearance and will do anything to makes themselves look good or feel better about themselves. I think most teens/ people do this right before beach season, so males can check them out-as bad as that seems, it’s true. I do think dieting contributes to anorexia, teens “purges calories by self-induced vomiting.” Dieting has never been in my mind, since I myself am skinnier, and have a high metabolism, but I definately need to cut out the sweets and trade them for healthier foods. There are many different ways people can try to diet, but the easiest is to listen to your body and eat when you are hungry and stop when you are full. On this website I found what dieting can lead to having an eating disorder and programs there are to help teens with this problem check it out.
    http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/54635.php

5. I thought your article described what teens think perfectly. All teens worry about is their appearance, it shouldn’t be like that but it is. I personally think that diets, especially for athletes are not the best way to lose weight. I think you should try to stay away from fattening foods but exercise is more beneficial. I think that people choose anorexia because they don’t receive the results they want quickly enough. Anorexia is a very bad choice in my opinion even if you really want to lose weight because of how it affects your body. Obviously as a teen being skinny and in shape is what everybody wants but an eating disorder is not how you should achieve this goal. There are many different ways to lose weight like controlling how much you’re eating as well as what you’re eating and exercising. On this website I found the awful affects anorexia can have on your body now and in the future.
    http://www.webmd.boots.com/mental-health/anorexia-what-anorexia-can-do-to-your-body