Wolverine Frogs

I like to learn about animals.  I decided to start looking on the websites to find some interesting animal   trivia.  I found out about frogs that have pseudo thumbs.

One article I read spoke about how certain species of frogs which had bones covered by skin similar to a thumb. Another site mentioned tree frogs with the same adaptation, however the end results are often much more severe. In addition, an article which referred to African frogs which, unlike the others this species has pseudo thumbs on its hind feet.

Otton frogs, found in Japan, have pseudo thumbs which are false thumbs on the hands of the animal. These “thumbs” cover a spike made of bone, made of a similar material the claws of the X-man, Wolverine, which is why they are also known as the “Wolverine” frog. This spike is used for small battles over territory and reproduction.

The Gladiator Tree Frog is found in Costa Rica, this frog has the same pseudo thumbs used for the same reason. However the battles are often fatal to one of the frogs, this may be where the name “gladiator” comes from.

Another species found in Africa also has pseudo thumbs, however these are located on its hind legs. Additionally, another difference between this and the other frogs, is that the spike creates a hole in the frog’s toe and may not return to its original state.

To conclude, many frogs are found with false thumbs, or pseudo thumbs, which have spikes used for small disputes, reproduction, and territory protection. If you had a pseudo thumb similar to these frogs, what would you use it for?

3 thoughts on “Wolverine Frogs

1. I thought your blog was very interesting and intriguing to me. I’ve learned a lot from this blog, so it made me want to do some more research on these “wolverine frogs”. I found out that both males and females have pseudo claws on them. For the males I found out their claws are longer. According to a scientist they think their claws are longer because its a way for them to hang on the females for mating. I’ve also learned that these frogs have developed a jabbing response while in combat. You can tell that these frogs have been in combat by the scars on there backs.
    http://www.tgdaily.com/general-sciences-features/66928-rare-frog-has-flick-knife-thumbs

2. I enjoyed reading this blog because I enjoy reading about and learning new things about all sorts of animals. It is interesting that they use their “thumbs” to fight and protect territory. I did not realize that frogs can be so viscous. I knew some could be poisonous but, I did not realize they would hurt each other. Frogs are also interesting because there are so many types and kinds in a lot of places. Here is a site on the different types of frogs which you may want to read.

http://www.frog-life-cycle.com/types-of-frogs.html

3. I think this is an interesting article. From my researching on the topic of pseudo thumbs I found an interesting animal that has this charecteristic, the Giant Panda also has the pseudo thumb. Althought the Panda does not use it for fights over territory, reproduction, or any of the things that the frogs use it for, the Panda uses its’ thumb to grasp bamboo to eat. Overall great job on the article.
    http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v397/n6717/abs/397309a0.html