Sticks and Stones May Break My Bones, but Words DO Hurt Me

Depression is mud. Your body and mind is in a mud hole and you have to use all of your energy to move an inch. Imagine a world with depression; using all of your energy all the time to do the simplest thing. You don’t understand how you could ever think of anything positive.

You hate yourself because you can’t seem to do anything right. Every teen has a bad day or a few in a row, but depressed teens live with sadness and hopelessness for weeks on end. Some even become angry easily, and cry for no reason at all. Teens with depression often isolate themselves from friends or family, and lose interest in once enjoyed activities. Some suffer from insomnia or they sleep too much. Some if not all teens that suffer from Major Depression think of death and about committing suicide frequently. Depression may cause enough mental pain for you to want to cut yourself, this is known as self- harm. But the question is what causes depression? The answer is a chemical imbalance in the brain.

120px-Depressed_(4649749639) Depression is a disease that impacts 5 percent of people in the world. Scientists have done research to treat depression and found that depression is caused by a chemical imbalance. Dr. Jeffrey Meyer experimented and investigated brain monoamine oxidase A, which is an enzyme that breaks down all the different chemicals in your brain. Meyer found that MAO-A is higher in the brains of untreated depressed person; on average at least 34 percent higher.  Depression has many different causes, some think it’s a chemical imbalance, others think its faulty mood regulation.

tumblr_ma6zr0rz7j1qatlpko1_500 In order to deal with depression and treatment, you should make sure to do a lot of things to your life. Frist make sure you stay active, a lot of people with depression would rather sit at home and wither away, but you need to get out and enjoy the air around you. Second talk to your friends, and tell them what’s going on. Make new friends, set yourself out there.  Third, ask for help if you’re not already getting it, untreated depression can lead to suicide and nobody wants that.  Another thing you can do is structure your time, and have realistic expectations; you can do all of this by keeping a journal. Writing down your feelings can really help even out your feelings. The last thing you can do is eat healthy, take out all of the junk food in your diet, junk food can cause a lot of stress to your life. Your doctor may even prescribe you medication to help even out your brain chemicals.

humantrafficking “That’s the thing about depression: a human being can survive almost anything, as long as she sees the end in sight. But depression is so insidious, and it compounds daily, that it’s impossible, to ever see the end. The fog is like a cage without a key,” Elizabeth Wurtzel. You can help save a life. Learn more with the links above, if you know anyone who suffers from depression, or if you suffer from it. Tell people it’s alright to not be perfect, the word impossible says I’m Possible. Get it out there that depression can be prevented. #SpeakUpBeforeItsTooLate.

1. Do you know anyone who suffers from depression? How are you helping them?
  2. What did you learn from my blog? Did anything pop out at you?
  3. If you suffer from depression what has helped you get better and cope with treatment?tumblr_ml2bj98yJD1qdjez2o1_500

2 thoughts on “Sticks and Stones May Break My Bones, but Words DO Hurt Me

1. this blog was amazing. I really liked how you said ways that you can get treated or help yourself with depression. I really liked the picture that said every 18 minutes somebody dies from a suicide and every 43 seconds a person attempts suicide. that’s crazy! before I read this I didn’t know that depression was a chemical imbalance in the brain. I just thought people were just depressed or not and it was all in their heads. after reading this I have a better understanding of people with depression. When I went on a website about depression they listed many different symptoms of depression like pessimism, complaints of poor memory, worsening of co-existing chronic disease, weight gain or loss, and so on. I had NO idea there were so many symptoms of depression! I used to think people with depression were only sad, anti-social, and quit all of their activities that they used to love but now I know its so much more than that! thank you for making this awesome blog. It was very interesting to read and learn about depression. My best friend has depression and she’s the strongest person I know. I never realized she was sad enough to have depression but now that she has medication for it, I know she has it. I’m definitely going to keep an eye on her to make sure she’s taking her meds like she should be. Thanks for writing this. I found my symptoms on: http://www.webmd.com/depression/

2. This was a really good blog. I was very interested in it the entire time I was reading! The statistics are a bit surprising. You mentioned that 5% of people in the world suffer from depression but I totally thought there was a lot more just because of how often the topic of depression is brought up. It was also super awesome that you mentioned cleaning up your diet would make you feel better and I can not agree with you more because I recently cleaned up my act with eating and dropped my sugar intake and I just feel like a brand new person from it! Not only has my skin gotten better but I just feel happier. Regarding your first question, I do know someone with depression and I just do simple things to try to make her day better like a “good morning gorgeous” text or something to show her that she is loved. I really like all the possible things for people with depression to do that you mentioned but if you click this link there are a few more here: http://www.webmd.com/depression/features/natural-treatments. It’s so crazy to think that anyone’s life would be terrible enough for them to think they have no other way out then to end it so I think its very good you mentioned the suicide hotline in this blog post. Because the suicide hotline does actually save lives, it would be really cool to see more on that. Here is the link to a website about that: http://www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org/. I really enjoyed this blog and your title was very clever! (: