Fuel up and Run!

90px-Dive_off!Proper nutrition and maintaining a well-balanced diet is a very important aspect of running. If you’re going to devote your time and energy into this endeavor, you might as well do it properly, right? That’s the main reason why I chose to blog and do further research into this topic. If you may not have already guessed, I am a runner myself. My curiosity and love for running makes me want to perfect all of the aspects that lead up to being a talented and healthy athlete. In conclusion, I hope that all of you athletes, specifically runners, take something from my research and apply it in your athletics and everyday lives.

For a runner, water is mandatory; there is no debate or argument saying that it’s not. Water is very important because it helps regulate body temperature, minimizes muscle friction, and helps transport nutrients for your overall energy and health. If runners do not consume enough water, you will start to notice fatigue occurring more frequently during easy runs. You are most likely to notice dizziness and muscle cramps as well. Being a runner myself, the feeling of my muscles cramping mid-workout frustrates me and makes my run less enjoyable, all because of not being hydrated. All in all, stay on top of your water intake, you will think yourself on those challenging workouts.

Consuming the proper nutrients in your diet while training is very effective in your running ability. As a runner, it is common for most of us to burn 100 calories per mile, or more. If you are running a marathon, well, you do the math! That is a ton of nutrients and calories lost, just by running. If you’re looking to improve your future running performances, then you absolutely have to replace what you lose during a workout in the food you are consuming.

One of the most important nutrients for a runner would be carbohydrates. Carbs will release energy into the bloodstream, which will give you sustained energy. The protein in those foods filled with carbs will help you with muscles recovery as well. As far as protein goes, you need it. Protein helps with muscle repair after those muscle-straining workouts, and will help your muscles recover faster for the next workout you have on your schedule. Maintaining the correct balance of fats is vital for running performances as well. Not consuming enough fats can cause muscle inflammation, infections, and a weak immune system. The amounts and types of food you consume all depends on your body weight, age, and workout intensity; these are all important factors to consider when you are wondering how much of a nutrient is necessary to consume. As you can see, nutrients are key to enhance performance and overall health.

As you can see, nutrients are vital for an active runner. Consuming the right amount of nutrients can even make-or-break a competition. In order to race, and run for that matter, make sure you are hydrated and have a healthy upkeep on the food you consume. In conclusion, in order to be a healthy well-trained runner, you need to take care of yourself and watch what you consume. Happy running!

1)      Do you think that the color of vegetables effect their effectiveness of improving overall health?

2)      Is carbohydrate loading an effective way to have energy the next day when you race?

3)      Why is it so important for runners and athletes to get proper hydration and nutrients?

3 thoughts on “Fuel up and Run!

1. I found this blog to be very informative on fueling your body to run. Being a soccer player I know how important it is to energize your body enough to run effectively. There is no doubt that water is an essential part of fueling your body for a grueling Meet/game. I think it is also very important to eat vegetables that are darker in color because they supply your body with more nutrients. And tot answer your question about carb loading here’s a great site I found that could help you!
    http://www.runnersworld.com/nutrition-runners/fill-er?page=single

2. I think that the answer to your second question is yes, carbohydrate loading is an effective way to have enough energy for a big race. While looking for a site to prove this does help I found that runnersworld.com confirmed my answer when it said that carbohydrate loading is a way to maximize carbohydrate intake. This can help muscles store energy in preparation for a long run.

http://www.runnersworld.com/tag/carb-loading