The Truth about Vaccines

During the last years vaccines have been a really big doubt in our society. According to the Dr. Mercola who works for the Institute of Medicine (IOM), “vaccines are not free from side effects”. How would you feel if you realize that the medicine you are taking to escape from a disease might actually affect you the same way as the diseases do? This is exactly what is happening with the use of vaccines in society nowadays.

The CDC didn’t report any deaths because of polio, or chicken pox, in United States, between 2003 and 2007. There are less than 51 cases and 10 deaths per year from tetanus. Polio has been eradicated in the United States since 1979. There have been fewer than 21 deaths from rubella per year since 1971 and fewer than 25 deaths per year from mumps since 1968. This shows that actually it is not always necessary to get vaccines because the most dangerous diseases that we are worried about do not exist anymore, or that the risk of getting them it is actually pretty low.

Another reason why vaccines can be not only, but also very risky leading to side unknown side effects. According to procon.org, vaccines can contain harmful ingredients, which eventually can lead to serious consequences. Some physicians believe that these ingredients such as mercurium, or aluminum are found in vaccines to eliminate chickenpox in children, or flu. The truth is that we are lucky that some children do not take the vaccine against smallpox because the disease no longer exists, for instance there is no necessity to make children take vaccines which can lead to other unknown diseases.

It is true that there is a concern present. The article Straight Talk about Vaccines explains how people are scared of letting their kids take vaccines. The reality is that vaccines can be dangerous, but it also prevents some diseases. Even though it can have some side effects, it is either the option of life risking, opting for a vaccine, or dying. The Center for Diseases Control and Prevention recorded that some parents did not want their children to get the vaccines, and the situation ended with those children getting serious diseases.

Finally, as a conclusion we can say that vaccines are still a big doubt in our society. People still don’t know what exacts effects can produce or what diseases can eliminate, but the truth is people are the ones who will decide if they want to take an unknown “medication” or research for a safer alternative which won’t have such as much side effects as vaccines do.

Hospital Corpsman 3rd Class Natasha Wooden administers a Hepatitis-B vaccine to a Sailors aboard the Nimitz class aircraft carrier USS Ronald Reagan (CVN 76). Reagan is currently underway conducting routine carrier operations

Questions:

1. Do you think we will find an alternative way to combat diseases?
  2. What is your opinion about vaccines nowadays?
  3. Would you use the vaccine method to combat a disease even when you do not know how your body is going to react?

4 thoughts on “The Truth about Vaccines

1. I think vaccines can be very helpful. My brother has a compromised immune system and if he gets chicken pox it can be deadly. According to the CDC, “Diseases that vaccines prevent can be dangerous, or even deadly. Vaccines greatly reduce the risk of infection by working with the body’s natural defenses to safely develop immunity to disease.” Severe complications with diseases, like Tetanus, can be very harmful to the health, and can even cause death. Vaccines are imitation virus to create immunity essentially. I think if you don’t get vaccines you’re putting yourself and others at a greater risk, because there are people who don’t have strong immune systems, and there are also people who have compromised immune systems. Children are more susceptible and not getting vaccinated can be the difference between life and death.
    http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/hcp/patient-ed/conversations/downloads/vacsafe-understand-color-office.pdf

2. This blog was very strong to learn about. I agree that we don’t need to take all of these vaccines. I really don’t think we need to take these, because most of these diseases don’t even exist anymore. I have researched and realized that some of these have killed people and caused them to have other disorders. On this website, it shows what medications babies take and what is killing them
    http://vactruth.com/2012/08/12/vaccinations-killing-kids/

3. I too find interest in this topic and the controversy that comes with it. Some vaccines are debatable whether you should take them or not because they don’t always work. For example the Flu vaccine, is created from what scientists believe what the virus will be like this year and there for is not all ways very success full. Other vaccines have been proven to work however and should be taken to prevent incidents where a simple virus from over seas like the measles comes to the US and could easily spread through people who have remained unvaccinated because political reasons. One such incident happened recently at Disney world and mostly spread through unvaccinated people. For more information about the Measles outbreak at Disney world I 2015 go to:
    http://www.cdc.gov/measles/cases-outbreaks.html

4. I love this topic as it is very debatable nowadays. I agree that some of the vaccines provided are not very necessary anymore. However, as what you have stated, there are still a lot of essential types of vaccine that have to be given since the risks of getting these diseases are still very high even in this decade. I noticed that some of these vaccines DO have detrimental substances in them that can harm the patients. I have done a further research to get some information about the vaccines’ ingredients.

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vac-gen/additives.htm

On the website above, there is a PDF document containing the ingredients of a lot of vaccines. I suggest that patients research for this kind of ingredients table before they get their vaccines and see if there are any ingredients they currently know they are allergic to or make some precautions if they feel the ingredients are quite dangerous. Health care professionals must also warn the patients of possible risks to come. This way, we can reduce the percentage of adverse events caused by severe reactions to vaccines. I hope this helps.