Shoes or no shoes?

A big question with runners is whether running without shoes reduces or increases injuries. Scientists and studies show that you can run with shoes or without shoes. There are some pros and cons about both.

Professor Stuart Warden from Department of Physical Therapy at Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis says the reason you can do both is if you grew up with one or the other. If you grew up running barefoot, then it would be okay to be running barefoot, but if you grew running with shoes then it would be okay to be running with shoes on. The feet of runners land different for everyone depending what is under their heels.

There are also things that happen when runners can switch from barefoot to shoes or vice versa.  There are many possible injuries that could occur. Running barefoot can increase risk stresses on the joints of the leg. The arch supports in the more advanced shoes have weakened people’s feet. The foot has a lot of support from the new shoes that our muscles don’t even need to work on their own.  Tennis shoes also have such a big cushion under them, so that the runner hits the ground with his heel first. Shoes also have your foot in a down position that makes it hard for the runner to land comfortably. If you wanted to run barefoot, you could start transitioning to running on feet very slowly without risking any injuries.  But in barefoot running, the runner is most likely going land in the middle or top of the foot, and then the heel is lowered to the ground, Warden also noticed. This is a less of an impact, so it does not damage your foot as much, injury levels are less potential.

Some runners who suffer through repeated injuries from running and they can’t seem to overcome the injuries might want to consider switching to barefoot running. People who run for the thrill of it and are happy running with shoes, Warden said that there would be no need to switch, “There is no point in changing something that is not broken.”

Overall, running barefoot is healthier and less injury causing. If you are used to running with shoes, gradually running without shoes will make it less injury causing. Either way, they are both okay if you are used to whatever you’re doing now.

Do you think it would be better to switch?

Which one would you prefer to do?

4 thoughts on “Shoes or no shoes?

1. In this blog I learned that if you grow up running with or without shoes it may be safer to continue doing so. There are many injuries that could occur if you switched in the future. I also learned that running with shoes may be more dangerous than running without. New shoes provide so much support that your muscles almost forget how they work. I never knew that shoes could be more dangerous while running than going barefoot. http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/10/15/myths-of-running-forefoot-barefoot-and-otherwise/ shows the many myths that come with running. I learned a lot from this blog. Great job!

2. I think your article is great and very informational. Even though I there were a lot of facts on why barefoot running is “better” I would have to choose running with shoes rather than barefoot running. The reason I would choose shoes over barefoot has to do with some of the reasons that Cristin VanDreil of Sole Sports said. http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/local_news/hear_me_out/hear-me-out-barefoot-running-vs-running-shoes-which-is-better. He mentioned that shoes have extra cushion to absorb impact while running. Shoes benefit us because while running we impact at three times our body weight, which the cushion helps. Other than the cushion, shoes also help prevent our feet from getting penetrated by something sharp or hard. Plus technology advancement now allows us to have different types of shoes for our different lading style whether we land on our mids or outer feet, they make shoes to help. Other than disagreeing that barefoot running is better it was very informational.

3. I personally think it would be better to switch from running in shoes to running barefoot. Studies are showing that it is better for your body if you run barefoot. I like that I can run with shoes on and not worry about getting any cuts on the bottom of my feet. In this video I found it shows how running barefoot and running with shoes on are different. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNgILGlXJag&safety_mode=true&persist_safety_mode=1&safe=active The video shows that running with shoes on makes you put your weight on your heels and cause your knees and your back to take most of the impact. Running barefoot switches your feet from putting the pressure on your heels to putting the pressure on your arch and toes. Putting the pressure there makes it so your back and knees don’t take the most impact while running. Great blog!