Cloning

I am interested in this topic because of the thought that I used to have about it. I used to think that it was impossible that a human could do such things. Until I heard about a sheep named Dolly that was born on the 5th July, 1996 http://go.grolier.com/and died at age six on the 14th February 2003. This got me amassed so that’s why I’m doing it on cloning. But I am mostly going to talk about what is cloning used for, what are some advantages, and what are some disadvantages.

File:Dolly the sheep, National Museums of Scotland, Edinburgh - geograph.org.uk - 1301843.jpg

Scientists hope that one day therapeutic cloning can be used to generate tissues and organs for transport. To do this, DNA would be extracted from the person in the need of any organ. It’s not only organs that can be cloned. You can also clone a part of your body let’s say you got your leg blown off, you come to the hospital and the doctor grows a leg for you and attach it.

The advantages of cloning are that you can save an endangered species. By reproducing its kind and populate again. Let’s say there is a big war going on, many soldiers died. No worries with the invention of cloning you can bring those men back to life. Now they can go back to their families.

The disadvantage of cloning is that the reproductive cloning is a very inefficient technique and most cloned animal cannot develop into health individuals. For instance, Dolly was the only clone to be born live out of a total 227 cloned embryos. This very low efficient, combined with safety concerns, presents a serious obstacle to the application of reproductive cloning.

In conclusion I talked about what cloning is used for, what are some advantages of cloning and what are some disadvantages of cloning. Cloning can be used for many things. Most of the advantages are that you can have the same person that passed the way be reborn again. The downside is that it’s very hard to do this.

If you could ever clone something would you do it?

How do you feel about human-cloning?

Do you think cloning is a good thing or a bad thing? 

5 thoughts on “Cloning

1. I don’t think I would ever clone anything. I think that human cloning is not a great idea, because the person’s clone wouldn’t actually be the person themselves. For example, they wouldn’t have the same brain. It would be a copy. Who knows if you could even resurrect the memories and knowledge somebody had. There’s no telling what kind of psychological problems there could be. The only reason human cloning would be beneficial is for injury victims. Scientists can use human skin cells to grow new skin for people and transplant it onto their bodies. This is very effective and can save lives. Other than that, I feel like it would be chaotic. Somebody would abuse their power and do things they shouldn’t, considering the endless possibilities of things to clone.

Here’s a link to an article about the skin cloning I talked about. http://www.fondtomafound.org/frenchnew/articles/skincloning.htm

2. This is an interesting blog because cloning seems a little out of the reach of modern medicine but with the sheep example it is obviously not. I think it would produce a problem with population growth. Population growth is already a large problem in the world today and keeping more people alive would make it worse. On the other side, veterans could be brought back to life and that would be great for their families. This was fun to read.

http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SP.POP.GROW

3. I believe I would never actually clone anything—well, living organisms anyhow. Mostly because I believe it would create some deficiency in DNA. So as a result, I would have to say it is a definite no on my part for human cloning. Number one, we already have enough people in this world as it is from natural birth, we do not need anymore. Secondly, as I said before, cloning someone will lead to eventual flaws in the structure of the DNA and something will go awry eventually. Lastly, if cloning must happen to be a “breakthrough” in science I suggest we clone plants, what we need more of or rare minerals and such—things people need to survive and do not have an abundance of. In all, though, I still believe cloning is not something we should delve in.

http://library.thinkquest.org/TQ0312650/cloning.htm

4. I think cloning people would not be the best choice someone could make. If you clone someone there are so many things that could go wrong. They could end up having a mental illness or something worse, like being born with cancer. The person will can be week in adapting to its surroundings and it also makes deliberate reproduction of undesirable traits.
    http://www.buzzle.com/articles/pros-and-cons-of-cloning.html

5. If i had my choice to clone something i would do it depending on what i am cloning and some of the effects that can be causes by cloning. I would not clone humans because i believe that everyone is made to be who they are and that should no be changed. Some people may also abuse the power of cloning in a negative way if everyone had that available to them. I agree with you that cloning can be used to save endangered species and some other positive things by i think the disadvantages outway the advantages. All in all, cloning can be used for good and bad things but in my opinion, is it not worth taking the risk of the bad things.