Gymnastics Stunt Growth?

I was a gymnast, and I think if I were to have not been in gymnastics, I would be taller right now. I am fifteen years old and only 5’2’’. The definition of stunt growth would be known as a stop or hindrance in growth or development. I think my growth definitely slowed down and I would possibly have a growth spurt but I won’t know until I start to grow. Researchers say that gymnastics does stunt your growth or can delay it, but haven’t given any estimated times of when you will start your growth.

According to the article, Why Gymnastics should be Banned published on November 17th, 2005, by Natalie Bennett. She states that gymnastics should be banned because she believes the kids in china are being used as child labor and is a substance of child abuse. She believes this when children are training so much to be able to go to the Olympics. Kids in China are trained to be more flexible than the kids in America and the Kids in China are over worked bending too much making them shorter.

A different website article, Most Girls Have Normal Growth After Gymnastics, published on February 22nd, 2000, by Denise Mann WebMD Medical News. Denise states that gymnasts may stunt their growth because of their intense exercise regiments. However, a new study published in the February issue of the Journal of Pediatrics, suggests that short people pick and stick to gymnastics. Short statures are considered as an advantage in the sport. Because of a shorter person’s center gravity is closer to the ground than taller athletes who play volleyball. A research team led by Ego Seeman, MD, an endocrinologist at the Austin and Repatriation Medical Center in Melbourne, Australia, reports that while active gymnasts did have reduced standing height, sitting height, and leg length compared with non-gymnasts, once they retired from gymnastics, they caught up with control subjects in terms of height.

The same goes with another article, A List of Exercises that Stunts Children’s Growth, Published on May 13, 2011, by Suzanne Allen. Suzanne states that artistic gymnasts, both male and female, experience a reduction of growth potential, but this is particularly pronounced in males. Among rhythmic gymnasts, a female’s genetic predisposition for growth is not reduced, but significantly delayed. In both artistic and rhythmic gymnasts, the prepubescent phase is prolonged and puberty shifts to a later age. This delay or lack of growth may result from continuous impact to joints.

In conclusion, Gymnastics stunts your growth. There is no way around it, if you start gymnastics as a little girl or boy up until you quit or don’t want to do gymnastics anymore you are probably shorter than average. But after you are done with the sport you will begin to grow. The researchers say that shorter people have advantages because their center gravity is closer to the ground. The growth in gymnasts isn’t reduced but it is significantly delayed. This occurs because of a continuous strain on joints, muscles and limbs, thus causing them to be shorter.

Now, questions for you:

1. If you were in gymnastics since you were little, are you shorter than you think you would be by now?
  2. Have you gone through a recent growth spurt after you haven’t been in gymnastics for a while?
  3.  Do you believe that shorter people have an advantage in the sport?
  4. Do you think shorter people’s center gravity is better to help flexibility and height of tumbling and jumps?

3 thoughts on “Gymnastics Stunt Growth?

1. This blog was very eye catching to me because i am a gymnast still and have been in gymnast for 13 years. I am 16 and only 5’3. I somewhat believe that gymnastics could stunt your growth but if you are a gymnast you want to be short. However, i have not had a growth spurt for 3 years now. i have grown a couple inches here and there but nothing major. The shorter you are the better because you have less weight that you need to lift and all. Also, I know that being shorter does give you a better center of gravity because you dont have as much weight to fight against. Beign a gymnast can result in some major injuries and that is what stunts your growth. Within, the past year i have fractured both hips and have a snapping tendon. Gymnastics can be a dangerous sport, however, there is some beauty that is braught to this sport. You can see this in the link below.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5dVL_vGLCs

2. This blog was really interesting to me. I was a gymnast for ten years before I quit and I realized that I am shorter than most of my friends. I am 5 foot 1 inch and I loved being in gymnastics until I got hurt. When I read this blog, I did some research and found that not only are they shorter, but gymnasts’ skeletal structure is considered “late-maturing”. It also takes longer for their bodies to start maturing and developing the way a person would if they were not in gymnastics. But as soon as they quit the sport, their bodies would go back to the way that they were supposed to be in the first place. I even found that if a person does participate in gymnastics, then they have a better bone density and reduce the risk of osteoporosis in the future. All in all, I really enjoyed reading and investigating this blog. Here is the website I used to get to information I found:

http://www.sportsinjurybulletin.com/archive/female-gymnasts-injury.html