Do Dogs Have the Same Emotions as People?

lead_largeHave you ever wondered what your dog is feeling? I have wondered this when I’m playing with my dog. Is she happy? Does she feel guilty when she chews up our shoes? In the past, it has been hard and even impossible to really know what they feel and what is going on inside their brains. With new technology, we have been better able to understand.

“Eat without pleasure, cry without pain, act without knowing it: they desire nothing, fear nothing, know nothing.” This quote came from Nicholas de Malebranche, who along with René Descartes, believed that animals simply acted like a machine. These French philosophers from the distant past had a very interesting interpretation of animals’ lives. They believed that animals, including dogs, had no ability to experience feelings, and could be programmed to do things, much like a machine. Today we have a different view on what goes on inside dog’s brains.

In the present, scientists have been able to study in depth what the mind of a dog is like. We have found that dogs have all the same brain structures that produce emotions in humans. Their brain contains the hormone oxytocin which in humans involves the feelings love and affection. Gregory Berns a professor of neuroeconomics at Emory University found the caudate nucleus, which causes anticipation of things we enjoy, has similar structure in both dog and human brains. The mind of a dog is roughly the same as a human’s at age two. Their developmental stage is a lot faster and they have full emotion range by 4-6 months.

Dogs will have all of our basic emotions; joy, fear, anger, disgust, and love. They won’t have complex emotions, such as guilt, pride, shame. Some people believe that their dog shows guilt, such as when they do something wrong. In reality, the dog is anxiously anticipating, or fearing, an expected punishment. Researcher Patricia Simonet from Sierra Nevada College has discovered what could be considered the canine version of laughter. Certain breathing while playing had a different pattern from normal panting.

In conclusion, dogs do have emotions, they aren’t just machines. We do know that they aren’t capable of complex emotions, only basic ones. Why are they not capable of complex emotions? What makes their brain different than ours? How can we learn even more about their minds? Most dogs in the world are pets, and are part of family. They feel joy when they play with their owners or fellow dogs, and they can fear punishment when they know they did something wrong. Dogs aren’t humans, but they can love you like one.

3 thoughts on “Do Dogs Have the Same Emotions as People?

1. This post was very informative and fun to read! I have always wondered what it was like in a dogs brain. A very interesting fact is that when your playing with your dog and you hear from them what sounds like a cough or choking is actually them laughing with joy! Another interesting fact is that dogs can feel jealousy. For instance, if another dog does the same thing as him and gets rewarded while he doesn’t, he will immediately stop. Dogs like to be treated fair to! For more fun facts visit this website http://www.cesarsway.com/tips/thebasics/Science-of-Canine-Emotions

2. I wish I could know exactly how my dog felt. It’s cool to think that dogs have emotions just like humans. Would a dog get sad if it’s owner left for work? It makes me wonder what their emotions are when they just lay around. I know a dog is happy if they are wagging their tail. I also know that they are looking out if their fur is up on their back and when they growl. Do dogs ever feel sad for doing something wrong? According to the article I found a dog has the same emotions as a two year old human. The chart on the article shows that dogs’ emotional development stops before dogs have guilt or pride. It’s cool to think that they can at least love someone.
    https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/canine-corner/201303/which-emotions-do-dogs-actually-experience

3. This is great! I had no idea that dogs are capable of doing such things. Emotion? I thought that was only for humans, yet clearly I am as blinded as the French philosophers who thought dogs and animals are machines. Through this article I learned that dogs feel love, fear, joy, anger, and disgust. Through an article I read I learned that dogs have the ability to understand human language almost as well as humans do. That site shows all the emotions that dogs could feel. http://moderndogmagazine.com/articles/which-emotions-do-dogs-actually-experience/32883