Breast Cancer

You probably know at least one person who was diagnosed with Breast Cancer. Breast Cancer is the most common cancer for women in the United States. Despite it being more common in females, this cancer can also originate in males. The abnormal development of breast tissue cells ultimately generates Breast Cancer. Nonetheless, there are many different things that can provoke these cells to develop.

As of now, scientists are still unsure about all the factors that cause Breast Cancer, so that is why research continues.  Some other common causes of cancer are the regular consumption of alcohol, the regular smoking of cigarettes, also being overweight. Being exposed to the hormone estrogen for longer amounts of time is also very common in the development of Breast Cancer. This happens when menstruation lasts after the age of 50 in addition to starting before the age of 12.  Not only are there environmental factors, genetic factors can also create issues.

Discovering that breast cancer is affected by genetic factors has helped improve the research taking place. Moreover, doctors do know that there are a few specific gene mutations that associate with Breast Cancer. Mutated genes are also something that one can acquire through life, some of which can create Breast Cancer.  Mutated genes are also something that one can inherit. When inherited, the rate of developing this cancer is much higher. It is common to become a victim of breast cancer if many other members of your family have had breast cancer or ovarian cancer formerly.

Alongside scientists are doctors who, working together, are still unable to find a way to completely prevent Breast Cancer thus far. They have come up with ways to prevent it as much as possible along with ways to detect it early in those who develop it. According to doctors it is recommended that people perform self-examinations monthly starting at the age of 20. On top of this, people ages 20-39 are supposed to get a professional exam every three years to try detect Breast Cancer. Examinations should become yearly when women turn 50 years old.

Overall, many different stages of Breast Cancer affect people globally. While it is still unable to be completely prevented, doctors along with scientists have come up with ways to decrease the risk. Using today’s technology, research is still being done about how to treat cancer without doing as much harm on other parts of the body. Breast Cancer is a very serious issue that I believe few people know enough about.

What other cancers are linked to Breast Cancer?

What is a common misunderstanding about Breast Cancer and what is the truth?

What is the history of Breast Cancer?

2 thoughts on “Breast Cancer

1. Breast cancer is one of the oldest reported cancers. The Egyptians have been thought to have had cancer as well. Although cancer has always been around, we have been able to detect and stop the formation of more cancer cells. We now have the technology to be able to diagnose and treat the cancer immediately. Even though breast cancers has been around forever, research is still being conducted to detect the source of it, as well as all cancers. http://www.maurerfoundation.org/a-brief-history-of-breast-cancer/

2. I think your essay is very informative. I did not lose interest while reading it. There is a history of breast cancer in my family. I think the most misunderstood thing about breast cancer is that men can get it to. Even though this disease is most common in women men may also suffer from this illness.
    https://www.cancer.org/cancer/breast-cancer-in-men/about/what-is-breast-cancer-in-men.html
    I support this website because I previously did not think men could get breast cancer but after reading through this website I was proven wrong. Men can get breast cancer because tumors can still form in this area.