Heel Spurs the secret pain in your heel?

800px-Bonespur          A bone spur is a tiny pointed outgrowth of the bone.  Bones spurs often happened in the heel.  Heels spurs sometimes cause pain in heel and help with bones. If your body needs more bones and extra support, your body makes more of the bone which is a bone spur.

Cause

Wear and tear of arthritis (osteoarthritis) the most common cause of bone spurs. As osteoarthritis breaks down the cartilage in your foot cushioning the ends of your bones, your body attempts to repair the loss by creating bone spurs near the damaged area.  The extra bone help increase the amount of surface area for pressure the heel takes. Heel spurs form in some patients who have plantar fasciitis, and tend to occur in patients who have had the problem for a long period of time. Plantar fasciitis is inflammation of the thick on the bottom of the foot. Heel spurs are common in patients who have a history of foot pain caused by plantar fasciitis. In the setting of plantar fasciitis, heel spurs are most often seen in middle-aged men and women, but can be found in all ages. The heel spur is not the main source of pain in the heel, its cause’s inflammation and irritation of the plantar fascia is the main source of pain in the heel. A heel spur diagnosis is made when an x-ray shows a hook of bone protruding from the bottom of the foot at the point where the plantar fascia is attached to the heel bone.

How to detect them

Bone spurs are detected by radiologic testing, such as with plain X-rays, ultrasound imaging, MRI scan, CT scan, and myelograms.

Treatment and Rest

The first treatment step is avoiding activities that aggravate symptoms. For example, take a few days off jogging or prolonged standing to try to rest the painful foot. Just resting usually helps eliminate the most severe pain, and will allow the inflammation to begin to settle down.  Apply Ice Packs and Icing to the heel. Exercises and stretches are designed to relax the tissues that surround the heel bone. Anti-inflammatory medications help control pain and decrease inflammation.  Shoe inserts are often use in the shoe to help with everyday walking pain. Night splints are worn to keep the heel stretched out when you sleep. They prevent the arch of the foot from becoming contracted at night. They help with morning pain. This is some of the ways to help treatment heel spurs and help with the pain.

Surgery for Heel Spurs

In a small number of cases, patients may not experience relief after trying the recommendations treatment up above. It’s important that the treatments are done for at least a year before considering surgery .Time is important in curing the pain from heel spurs, and insufficient treatment before surgery may subject you to potential complications from the procedure. If these treatments fail, your doctor may consider an operation to loosen the plantar fascia, called a plantar fascia release.

Heel spurs grow to help with surface area with the pressure the heel is taking. Heel spurs are a problem for some people and some people might never even know that they have heel spurs.  It’s important to know about heel spurs and how they affect you and how to detect them.

How many cases of heel spurs is there a year?

Do you know person with heel spurs?

What type of stretches would help heel spurs?

8 thoughts on “Heel Spurs the secret pain in your heel?

1. I thought this was a great blog. I never knew what caused heel spurs and this article helped me understand it a little. It was a little hard to read, but it was easy to take what the main points were. In an article I read it said that if certain treatments didn’t work, you could possibly end up having surgery. I learned a lot from this article, http://www.webmd.com/pain-management/heel-spurs-pain-causes-symptoms-treatments, it was easier to understand.

2. These things would hurt so bad. I agree with this, but some of this information I didn’t quite understand. In an article that I found it says that you can get heel spurs from being overweight, wearing worn shoes, job conditions that require a long period of time standing and aging can also do this because of the decrease in ligament elasticity. You also do not have to have surgery right away. In some cases a combination of icing, rest, foot stretches, and orthotic shoe inserts.
    http://www.heel-that-pain.com/heel_spur/index.php

3. Thank you for sharing valuable information. I must admit that I was unaware of heel spurs before. I enjoyed reading this post as well as watching the video. The whole blog is very informative. Thanks.

4. This is a very interesting article that was also informative. I personally have never heard of heel spurs before. The weird set up got me confused at times but usually for each section it got to the point for me to understand. I found a website that shows information on the risk factors of having a heel spur and more causes that you didn’t mention in your blog. http://www.webmd.com/pain-management/heel-spurs-pain-causes-symptoms-treatments To answer your question I don’t know anyone with a heel spur and there is about a million cases a year.

5. This was an intriguing blog, but not a lot of it made any sense. The way some of the paragraphs were written made it hard to keep track of the subject. I had also found out in another article that you can use shoe inserts to help with heel spurs, too. For stretching you can use a towel to pull back the foot or a stair to stretch out the foot and calf muscle.
    http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/generalinfo2/a/heelspur.htm
    http://heel-spur.info/stretching